The Union County Runaway & Homeless Youth Shelter has a vision to halt the cycle of homelessness by offering various programs that will enable youth to move forward to a safer, healthier, and more productive lifestyle within the community.
The Runaway & Homeless Youth Shelter offers assistance to youth who are in need including:
- 24 hour assistance for youth ages 13-17
- Safe emergency accommodations
- Food, clothing, and medical attention
- Recreation opportunities
- Youth advocacy and support with DCP&P, law enforcement, schools, and family members;
- Educational assistance
- Life and social skills training and support
- Respite opportunities for families in crisis
- Linkage to transitonal and permanent housing options
- Family reunification
- Employment assistance
Referrals to the program will be accepted from DCP&P, law enforcement departments, teachers, school social workers, and school administration, social services, self referrals, youth from the streets and good neighbors.
The Runaway and Homeless Youth Shelter is funded by the US Department of Health & Human Services (NJ- HHS).
If you know of someone who is in need of help, please contact us:
908-354-3096 (toll free)
908-413-4261 (24 hour access)
Or call the Runaway Hotline: 1-800-RUNAWAY
The Union County Youth Shelter has the capacity for short-term (maximum of 30 days) placement for youth that are referred from the Family Crisis Intervention Unit, Juvenile Detention Intake Unit, Juvinile Criminal or the Family Courts of Union County.
Staff at the Union County Youth Shelter work with the youth to provide them with the following services:
- Life skills group classes
- Self care and daily living skills training
- Individual sessions with trained staff
- Nutrition education
- On-site classroom with NJ certified teacher
- Daily recreation, weekly special events
- Referrals to community resources
- Therapeutic assessments upon request
- Medical follow up & medication monitoring
- Vocational training
- Supervised completion of court assigned community service hours
- Linkages to family support services
- Transportation to appointments
- Assistance at probation and court appearances.
For additional information, contact us at 908-354-3040 or email@example.com